The Graduate Certificate in Police Leadership provides a theoretical and practical knowledge base for law enforcement executives in criminal justice, public administration or social work.
CURRICULUMStudents in the Police Leadership certificate must complete two required courses, one restricted elective and one course from the list of approved unrestricted electives, for a total of 12 credit hours.
|Total Credit Hours Required:|
Credit Hours Minimum beyond the Bachelor's Degree|
Required Courses—6 Credit Hours
- CJE 5021 Foundations of Law Enforcement (3 credit hours)
- CCJ 6106 Policy Analysis in Criminal Justice (3 credit hours)
Elective Courses—6 Credit Hours
Choose one of the following courses (3 credit hours):
- CCJ 6118 Criminal Justice Organizations (3 credit hours)
- CJL 6568 Law and Social Control (3 credit hours)
- PAD 5807 Local Government Operations (3 credit hours)
- PAD 6037 Public Organizational Management (3 credit hours)
- PAD 6327 Public Program Evaluation Techniques (3 credit hours).
- This course (PAD 6327) is an advanced program evaluation course. Those without a background in Public Administration are discouraged from enrolling in this course.
And, choose one of the following courses (3 credit hours):
- CCJ 5015 The Nature of Crime (3 credit hours)
- CCJ 5456 The Administration of Justice (3 credit hours)
- PAD 5041 Ethics and Values in Public Administration (3 credit hours)
- PAD 6035 Public Administration in the Policy Process (3 credit hours)
- PAD 6417 Human Resource Management (3 credit hours)
- This course (PAD 6417) has a prerequisite of PAD 6700. Contact the Public Administration department for an override.
- SOW 5132 Diverse Client Populations (3 credit hours)
- SOW 5175 Strategies in Employee Assistance Programs (3 credit hours)
Admission is open to those with a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution. An application to the graduate certificate program and official transcripts must be submitted. Applicants must apply online. All requested materials must be submitted by the established deadline.
|Police Leadership Graduate Certificate||
|Jul 15||Dec 1||Apr 15|
International Transfer Applicants
*Applicants who plan to enroll full time in a degree program and who wish to be considered for university fellowships or assistantships should apply by the Fall Priority date.